Livingston FCBC v Bathgate Thistle 2002’s 15 Nov 14

High 5 for Bathgate!

Starting 11: Ciaran, Graham, Callum S, Adam, Jamie, Callum G, Aidan, Shaun, Owen T, Shea, Owen S.

There was early Livi pressure which brought out an excellent save from Ciaran in the fourth minute. Ciaran showed some excellent self-confidence and turned the fierce shot round his left post and out for a corner.

In the 5th minute, Adam unusually on the right, passed across the centre of the field towards Shea who had ran into an opening in the left defence. Unfortunately the side netting was hit rather than the goal.

In the 10th minute Adam picked up a Jamie pass in midfield and released Callum G down the right. Callum G took the ball in his stride and danced around 4 defenders, ran along the goal line and let fly from an impossible angle. However improbable it may have looked, the ball was goal bound before a desperate defender deftly diverted the ball off the line and out towards the left touch line. It would have been an incredible goal, however, Callum G would have more to contribute later.

Five minutes later, Aidan picked out a perfect pass to Shaun on the left. Shaun showed neat footwork and took the ball further up the left before releasing Adam down the touch line. Adam looked around as he ran towards goal. Seeing a gap in the defence, Adam let loose with his lethal left, however, this time the ball sailed over the keeper and the bar for a goalkick.

More Bathgate pressure brought a corner, which Shaun ran over to take on the left. His well placed ball was deflected out to Graham, around 22 yards out to the left of the box. Graham saw his chance for glory, unfortunately, his first time shot sailed narrowly over the top of the bar. Graham, too would contribute more later.

After some 2 minutes of Livi pressure, Callum S picked up the ball just in front of his own box. A quick look upfield was all Callum S needed to see Shea was free on the left wing, some 15 yards inside the Livi half. Callum S sent a ball through the defence to land just in front of Shea who had been alert to the possibility of this perfect pass. Shea ran 25 yards and shot towards the goal. However, again, the ball was destined to be kept away from the net, this time by a desperate defenders dangling leg.

A free kick was awarded in 25 minutes. Adam was the obvious choice of kicker as the ball was some 30 yards out and slightly to the right of centre. The ball was goal bound, however, the Livi stopper showed his determination and turned the ball out for a corner.

The Bathgate boys determination to score was rewarded in the 28th minute. Aidan’s determination and doggedness was rewarded after twice ensuring the ball stayed in the Livi half of the field. The second ball Aidan won was passed to Adam, who dinked a lovely ball on to Shea. The move continued as Shea sent Owen S through the centre of the defence and Owen S sent the ball past the despairing keeper for 0 – 1.

In 32 minutes, Callum G and Owen T combined down the right side. Unluckily for Owen T, his fine shot brought out an excellent save from the keeper.

HT 0 – 1

The second half brought more pressure from Bathgate on the Livi defence. A fine cross from Callum G found Aidan at the near post. Aidan sent a cushioned header just wide of the keepers left post.

Shea picked up a through ball from Jamie on the right. Shea ran through the centre of the defence and let fly with an unstoppable shot which the keeper could only watch flying past him for 0 – 2.

In 12 minutes Callum G took a similar run along the left goal line as he had in the first half. Callum G cutely chipped the keeper, ensuring this time no defender could clear the ball, and the ball landed in the net for 0 – 3.

The fourteenth minute brought the 4th goal. Shaun had picked up a fine pass from Luke in midfield. A quick one-two with Callum M allowed Shaun to release Adam, who ran 10 yards up the left and left loose a typical Adam left footer, which flew into the net for 0 – 4.

A minute later, Aidan, who was again covering every inch of the park, chipped the keeper. For the second time in the game, Aidan’s luck was out as the ball struck the foot of the left post and bounced to safety.

The scoring was complete in the 28th minute. It was a fine piece of play from Adam, who chipped the ball over the defenders to allow Graham through. Graham ran on to the ball as it landed perfectly at his feet, just beyond the defence. Noticing the keeper had ran out to narrow the angle, Graham cleverly chipped the ball just over the outstretched arms of the keeper and into the net for 0 – 5.

Talking point: it brought a round of applause when Cameron came on with a couple of minutes of the game left. Hopefully Cameron can work on his fitness over the winter and be ready to reclaim his place in the team early next year. Well done Cameron, who has attended every game since his unfortunate injury!

Leave a Reply