Match Day 3 – A lesson

The much awaited first home game for Bathgate Thistles 35’s saw the visit of Edinburgh’s Peffermill.

The 7pm kick off was our first challenge as Meikle and Abdou rocked up with seconds to spare while Paul Constanza happily announced he was late due to ironing a shirt!

As the starting 11 of both teams eyed each other up it was clear this had an an effect on attitudes. The side was dotted with ex-pros, former Hibs legend Keith Wright and Northern Ireland Internationalist Andy Kirk spotted they were up against Alec Nicholson and Alan Bishop and knew they had to unleash their A game.

Unfortunately they did just that and within 10 minutes the visitors were 2 goals up. Hat Trick hero Keith McMeeking playing left back slid in to block a shot twisting his knee in the process, meaning Hibs fan Stuart Crooks was draughted in from the bench to deal with a former idol. Keith’s injury looks a sore one and all the boys wish him well nad hope he’s back playing soon. This looked like a lesson in possession football as the old pro’s stroked the ball around until Liam Goldie sprung onto a loose ball and fired it into the net to make it 1 – 2.

Goldie tested the keeper again before making way for substitute Wardy as Reidy dropped back to help the midfield. We started to gain some ground on the left through Davie Bell but with one striker up front against an organized defence it was going to be tough. An inch perfect cross from Stan saw a Wardy header saved, and 2 minutes later it was 1 – 3 to the visitors.

This had become damage limitation as Peffermill’s old heads grew in confidence and started to enjoy their evening. Although clearly on the ropes Thistle made it to half time trailing 2 goals and it was time to re group and draw on the experience of rattled coach Winston.

Having been told to “stop admiring and get mucked in aboot them” or words to that effect, we agreed that we had to push up the park from the left wing as this seemed to be the chink in their armour. Within the first 5 minutes of the restart we were 1-4 down after a solo run from their midfield breached the Thistle defence and slotted past Goalkeeper Gus, who must have had more fun Friday evenings.

On a positive note the remainder of the 2nd half was much better from Bathgate. Passing became more accurate and plenty of chances were created. However, Wardy, having been dragged around like a Dyson for most of the game failed to convert, while serial screamer Davy Bell on another day would have looked up and spotted Reidy or Paul Kelly on the left wing.

Despite the better performance we still lost the 2nd half 2 – 1. resulting in the final score of 6-2. Our late 2nd goal came from a Peffermill defender’s leg after some decent work on the right wing by Liam Goldie.

Home game number two against BOS Veterans next up, which will require a much better performance if we are to return back to our winning ways.



Leave a Reply